Accent’s journey over the past twenty-five years has been one in which we have partnered with over 100 US institutions and helped enable more than 50,000 US students to fulfill their dreams of studying abroad on 2,450 programs in six overseas Study Centers (Paris, Florence, London, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul). Our mission at the outset remains very much our mission of today: to collaborate with colleges and universities in order to create study abroad programs of academic integrity and rich cross-cultural focus. Accent is committed to encouraging each student’s intellectual and personal growth by providing educational opportunities that foster an understanding of different cultures.
Study abroad has changed a great deal in 25 years, from being mainly focused on language and humanities programs in the early days to the vast array of disciplines and program types we host today.
In the current troubled world where too many nations are increasingly looking inwards and backwards for solutions to progress, Study Abroad is a shining example of education in the front line, trying to tackle the issues facing society by better understanding them and seeking solutions.
Here are some of the landmarks over the past 25 years:
- 1991 Accent created in California
- 1991 Accent Paris and Accent Florence with 481 students and 24 programs
- 1996 Accent London opened
- 1998 Over 1,000 students and 55 programs
- 2002 Accent Madrid and Accent Rome opened
- 2005 Over 2,000 students and 109 programs
- 2013 Accent Istanbul opened
- 2013 Over 3,000 students and 157 programs
- 2015 Over 4,000 students and 191 programs
- 2016 25th Anniversary
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the staff, faculty and others connected with Accent over the years for their important contributions towards Accent’s achievements.