Design courses emphasize craft and skill across disciplines and media: graphic design, digital media, bookmaking, fashion, and more. Studio classes and labs conducted by professionals emphasize the mastery of contemporary techniques and professional practices, while theory-based and seminar courses help students develop their personal creative visions. All courses offer 3 credits.
- Ways of Communicating: Introduction to Digital Media
- Ways of Communicating: Introduction to Typography
- Ways of Being: Design & Social Responsibility
Students should have junior standing, having completed at least four semesters of 2D art studio courses
- Communication Design: Community
- Bookmaking and Independent Publishing
- Design Project Communication
- Fashion Collection Management
In addition to the above courses, all students are required to take an Italian language course (3 credits).
An additional liberal studies elective, Women & Art (3 credits), explores Florence’s museums to understand the role of women as artists, subjects, and patrons of art, investigating intersections between art history and women’s and gender studies. This course is optional.