Medical Support: Our medical support network has been established over 30 years, from some of the very best professionals in each city.
Though students have access to public health care systems for emergency care in each of our cities, Accent has also linked up with local private individual physicians, medical services, hospitals and clinics, which cater to English-speaking foreigners. These make accessing routine and non-emergency medical care quick, easy and worry-free for students and their families.
Private medical partners allow students to:
- Be in contact with a physician or nurse practitioner via chat, email or phone for general advice
- Make their own appointments in English via phone, website appointment systems, email or text message
- Arrange for medical house calls 24/7
- Arrange complete care including specialists’ visits, diagnostics and even in-patient and outpatient procedures, with English speaking medical professionals
- Provide necessary documentation for full reimbursement from student insurance or in some cases arrange for guarantees of payment for direct payment
- Have continuity of care by having a local English-speaking physician communicate directly with the student’s home physician or family members
In addition to individual trusted physicians in the Accent network, some examples of our medical networks include:
Mental Health: Safeguarding students with easy access to the very best mental health care
Accent partners with “Mondo Equilibrio” for consultation and advising from licensed mental health professionals for managing incidents including student psychological events or events which may have a traumatic impact on the program community. Mondo Equilibrio provides students with access to:
- Toll-free (European) numbers for a 24/7 Counseling Helpline which students can use as much as they like for help navigating anxiety, homesickness, depression, etc. Though calls are confidential, Mondo Equilibrio loops in Accent if the student is in immediate danger.
- A password protected website to request in-person appointments with local English-speaking psychiatrists, psychotherapists and psychologists, as well as access to resources on tip sheets for mental and emotional well-being while studying away from home.
- Mondo Equilibrio steps in to support Accent immediately if a student is in distress and psychological evaluation or monitoring plans are needed in collaboration with your own campus based medical advisors.
Being Prepared: Health and safety information is tailored for students and we are dedicated to continuous improvement.
- Accent has a health and safety team, drawn from staff in each Study Center who meet regularly with our medical advisor and Mondo Equilibrio to reflect on incidents and emerging trends.
- Accent and partners dedicate time and resources to the development of audio-visual materials aimed at informing students about the realities of studying away from home, what to expect and ways of dealing with the challenges in a healthy way.
- Accent and Mondo Equilibrio have developed pre-departure webinars, videos and of course have an extensive on-site orientation; all which aim to inform students about various critical topics such as the statistical increase of alcohol use on study abroad, adjustment issues, harassment and sexual assault, anxiety and stress management and more.
- After program start, Study Centers continue to offer regular opportunities for students to discuss, share experiences and learn about different health and well-being issues.
Being There: When students need that extra support.
When unfortunate and sometimes tragic events do befall students while on their program, they are in good hands.
- Accent staff undergo regular trainings on psychological first aid, trauma, anxiety and panic, discrimination and responding to sexual assault.
- Accent staff are up-to-date on local law enforcement procedures for reporting crimes and sexual assault as well as institutions which provide targeted care for survivors of sexual assault.
- We also understand that students who have undergone traumatic events may not always seek out the help the need, which is why we are vigilant and provide ample opportunities to create rapport and reach out to students
- In addition, Accent Staff are well trained in navigating the need for discretion in attending to students’ needs, while at the same time maintaining proper institutional communications to assure the student receives the resources they need.